Your Journey into Social Work
At Southend on Sea we work closely with our local universities. We support all students to become confident, highly skilled practitioners who will be well equipped to start their social work journey as newly qualified social workers. To provide the best experience, students are offered good quality placements.
We also work in partnership with our Eastern Region and participate with the STEP UP TO SOCIAL WORK programme. Graduates who wish to become a qualified social work should apply direct to this programme. As a step-up student, you will receive an attractive bursary, Southend will meet with you monthly until you start your placement with us, we will provide you with two good quality placements. You will also become a member of our student community we have here in Southend. As student in Southend you will be guaranteed an interview to join our ASYE programme.
Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE)
The Practice Unit are very proud of the ASYE programme that is offered to our Newly Qualified Social Workers (NQSWs). We adapt our offer each year by obtaining and reflecting on the feedback from staff who have undertaken their ASYE in Southend.
As a NQSW you be appointed an ASYE Assessor and you will both be offered a programme of support from our ASYE Lead. NQSWs will be placed in teams that provide the right experience for you to gain all the necessary skills to equip you for your career in social work.
During your first year you will have a varied caseload and will have the opportunity to gain skills in all areas of practice. Caseloads are monitored on a weekly basis and there is an expectation that your caseload will be capped at 15 cases.
The Practice Unit are committed in supporting all NQSWs with their continued professional development. As a NQSW you will have full access to our Building Strong Practice Programme as well as an opportunity to complete a MA module of Strengthening Professional Practice.
Your first year with us will include:
- a one week induction with The Practice Unit
- weekly supervision for the first six weeks
- fortnightly supervision for the first six months
- a capped caseload of 15
- monthly development days with The Practice Unit which include group reflective sessions
- being part of our ASYE community
- bespoke 1-2-1 sessions with the ASYE Lead
- access to tools and resources to equip you in your role
Your second year in practice will include:
- monitored caseload.
- quarterly development days which will include group reflective sessions.
- bespoke 1-2-1 sessions with The Practice Unit to look at areas of development and how we can support you in those areas.
- access to our Building Strong Practice Programme.
- access to tools and resources to equip you in your role.
- an opportunity to buddy up with NQSWs and students which will prepare you for Practice Education.
After you have completed your second year with Southend you will also have the opportunity to complete the Practice Education qualification.
Our NQSWs start within the same pay band as other qualified social workers. We offer a competitive starting salary of £32,798.